Cooking too, is something I find is much more satisfying with someone else. I sometimes find myself starving after work and not wanting to eat until my boyfriend gets home and we can make something together. The idea of not wanting to "waste a meal" on something lame like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or cold pizza always crosses my mind. And so, most times, I wait it out and we make a small feast together. The preparing for cooking is a ritual which I love as well. Pulling all of the ingredients out, chopping and mixing, snacking along the way, and of course, accompanied by a glass of wine. Finally when the meal is starting to come together, and the aroma begins to seep into the living room, heads start poking in with curiosity. Then the meal is ready and the best part comes, time to eat. The long awaited food is always better, in my mind, then that quick snack, and typically keeps you full for a lot longer too.
This sharing though, between two people, although satisfying, is much different then the satisfaction of cooking for/with a big group, and having many people try your creation. As I come from a seafood business family, most the recipes I know include either crab, shrimp, oysters, or salmon. I love preparing any of these for friends because although seafood is common in the northwest, most people have only had it in nice restaurants, and is in the category of grommet. For me, I've grown up around it, and its as common as broccoli.
The easiest recipe, which I love to make for people is oysters on the bar-b-q. When I first bring out the creatures I find people look a bit timid, and aren't sure if they want to try it. Most people have only had them on the half shell, which is much different then on the bar-b-q. Soon though, I mixing the sauce and throwing them on the grill and people's interests are grabbed. As soon as the oysters pop open and I poor my buttery concoction on top, the smell is rich and people finally start to believe me that maybe it won't be that bad after all. Finally they're ready, and served, and I can't tell you how fast they go. In fact a lot of times I have to hide a few on the side for myself just to get any. But it doesn't matter to me, I'm cookin' up something that everyone loves and for a while at least, am treated like a master chef.
THE RECIPE:
This recipe, oysters on the bar-b-q is probably one the simplest recipes out there. So easy, yet so wonderful, everyone will think you're a master chef...
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
OYSTERS: I would recommend getting more than you think you'll want, because there's a lot less meat inside the shell than it appears. One person can easily eat half a dozen, if not more, and they're typically pretty inexpensive, so I would recommend about 2 dozen for 3 people, or somewhere in there. I also would recommend, if its available, to get them from a farmer, and not a grocery store. Although they are harder to find, they're fresher and really just taste better.
TOPPING:
butter
olive-oil
lots of garlic
parmesan cheese
Step 1: Throw the oysters on the grill (medium heat) and let them hang out there for a bit, usually about 10 minutes, or until they pop open.
Step 2: While the oysters are on the grill, mix the butter, olive-oil and garlic.
Step 3: When the oysters pop open, use a shucker if you have one, or if not, a butter knife, and pry the top of the shell off, careful it'll be hot, so use a towel or something.
Step 4: Slather them in your sauce, the more the merrier!
Step 5: Add the grated parmesan cheese and let it melt for a few minutes
Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment