Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Gardens and Farms
After the trip today the UW farms, I realize I might have actually grown up on one, or a small one at least. When I was young my mother had an extensive garden which inhabited all sorts of fruits and vegetables. There were apples and berries, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, rhubarb, and much more which has long left my immediate memory as I was just a child. I do however, remember a few things. My "bed" was the carrots, and for the longest time I referred to the carrots as a "bed" not because I thought it was the proper name, but because it was about the same size of mine, and in my mind the carrots had a bed just as I did. The carrots, were one of my favorite to pick because unlike a berry, or an apple, you didn't know what you were going to get until it was plucked from the earth. I of course, did not like the idea of patients as a child and was always eager to pull the carrots long before they were ready. I can remember pulling out a carrot and in my imagination it would be be about a foot long and plump, only to reveal a 4 inch carrot which could of used a few more weeks. My mother was never too fond of me pulling the carrots out so early, but she never got mad, and let me pick about a dozen 4 inch carrots before telling me it was enough for now. Bigger ones came eventually, but I have high suspicion it was because she had another bed of them somewhere...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment